Can you have a steak without meat? YES!
• 1 large cauliflower
• 30g butter
• Vegetable oil
• 100g grated mature cheddar
• 1 tsp english mustard powder
• 10g butter
• 10g flour
• 1 egg yolk
• Worcestershire sauce, a few dashes (optional)
• 1 - 2 tbsp dark ale
1. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Cut the cauliflower in half then cut a thick slice from each half to make 2 steaks. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add a glug of oil. Season the cauliflower steaks then fry on each side until golden.
2. Place the cauliflower steaks onto a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until tender. Once cooked, remove the steaks and preheat the grill.
3. Put the cheese, mustard, butter, flour, egg yolk and Worcestershire sauce in a pan and slowly heat together, adding enough ale to make a paste - you do not want it to be too wet. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon the cheese mix over the cauliflower steaks and put under the grill for 4-5 minutes or until golden and bubbling.