The most extravagant trifle you've ever seen! Full of tropical fruit and all the sweet treats you could ask for.
• 1 packet yellow jelly
• 1 packet green jelly
• Swiss roll:
• 4 free range eggs
• 115g caster sugar
• 75g self raising flour
• 200ml whipped cream
• 1 tbsp dark rum
• 2 tbsp icing sugar
• 3 passionfruits, flesh and seeds only
• Trifle ingredients:
• 400g custard
• 300g whipped cream
• 150ml dark rum
• 50ml icing sugar
• Kiwi fruit
• Mini watermelon
• Dragon fruit
• Star fruit
• Whipped cream for piping
• Hundreds and thousands
1. Make the jellies up as per their packet instructions, and put in the fridge 2 hours before you want to assemble your trifle - you want it not-quite set.
2. Line a 23x33cm swiss roll tin with non-stick baking paper, preheat the oven to 190C.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, then sift in the flour and gently fold in.
4. Pour it into the lined swiss roll tin, and spread gently.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until springy and lightly golden.
6. Turn it straight out onto another piece of baking paper, and leave to cool.
7. Whip the cream, rum and icing sugar to soft peaks.
8. Once the sponge is cool - spread whipped cream and passionfruit flesh over it.
9. Use the baking paper to help you roll up the swiss roll - not too tight or the filling will squeeze out.
10. Whip 300g cream with 50g icing sugar and 50ml dark rum.
11. Prep all your fruit into into shapes and sizes.
12. Put a layer of swiss roll at the bottom of your trifle dish and pour rum over it.
13. Start layering fruit up the inside of the dish
14. Add a layer of custard, and a layer of fruit across the dish.
15. Add layers of almost-set jelly, more fruit, more rum cream and more custard.
16. Keep layering until the dish is full.
17. Add a final layer of custard to smooth over the fruit. Then add a layer of cream, and pipe cream rosettes around the edge.
18. Spoon your remaining passionfruit flesh over the middle of your tropical rum trifle
19. Decorate as you see fit and serve!