3 great ways to make the most of the humble pitta!
• Pitta Lasagne:
• 450g sausages, casings removed
• 150g nduja
• 1 tsp fennel seeds
• 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 200g ricotta
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 jar tomato sauce
• 4 pitta, cut in half
• 150g shredded mozzarella
• Pitta Pizzas:
• 4 wholewheat pitta breads
• 4 tsp sun-dried tomato purée
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 85g chorizo, crumbled
• 50g mozzarella, sliced
• Few basil leaves
• 2 stale pitta
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
• 3 tbsp good olive oil, plus extra to grease
• 1 tsp sumac, plus extra to sprinkle
• 500g ripe mixed tomatoes
• 3 small cucumbers or 1 large one
• 2 spring onions
• 25g flat-leaf parsley
• 15g mint
• 100g radishes
• 15g dill
1. Pitta Lasagne: preheat the oven to 180C. In a pan, cook the sausages in the oil over moderately high heat, add the nduja and fennel seeds and break up the meat, until browned.
2. Season the ricotta with salt and pepper. Spread some tomato sauce in an ovenproof dish. Top with 1 pitta, one-third of the sausage and a good amount each of the ricotta and mozzarella. Repeat the layering twice more. Top with the remaining sauce and mozzarella.
3. Cover the lasagne with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes longer. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
4. Fattoush: Heat the oven to 200C. Toss the pitta with a little olive oil, then bake for about 15 minutes until crisp. Allow to cool slightly, then break into shards.
5. Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into irregular chunks and the cucumber (deseeded if the large variety) into rough dice. Finely slice the spring onions and pick the leaves of the herbs and roughly chop. Combine in a large bowl with the bread, sumac, radishes, cider vinegar and olive oil.
6. Toss the salad together and finish with a sprinkling of dill.
7. Pitta Pizzas: Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and put a baking sheet inside to heat up. Spread each pitta with 1 tsp purée. Top with the red onion, chorizo, cheese and fresh basil.
8. Place on the hot sheet and bake for 10 mins until the pittas are crisp, the cheese has melted and the chorizo has frazzled edges. Serve with a green salad.