Chocolatey, malty and oh so tempting. You need this!
• 450 grams Maltesers plus extra for decorating
• 110 grams unsalted butter, melted
• 100 grams caster sugar
• 4 egg yolks
• 200 grams of dark chocolate, chopped up
• 500 milliliters whole milk
• 3 tablespoons malt powder
• 300 milliliters double cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. First, blitz the Maltesers in a food processor into crumbs. Add to the crumbs to the pan with the melted butter and mix. Pressed into a greased 26 centimeters pie tin, loose bottomed if you prefer, and push down evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon until the bottom and sides are completely covered.
2. Leave in the fridge to set whilst you make the filling. In a medium pan add the egg yolks, milk and malt powder and whisk over a low heat until thickened. Take off the heat and stir through the chocolate until it's a smooth, silky consistency. Remove the pie shell from its tin at this point and place on a plate or board. Pour the chocolate filling into the pie case and keep in the fridge until serving, at least an hour but preferably overnight.
3. Just before serving whip the double cream and vanilla together until stiff. Spoon over the chocolate filling, evenly covering the surface. Blitz with remaining Maltesers so some are fine and some are bigger and sprinkle over the top.