Our Enchilada Lasagne is the perfect comfort food for the whole family. Layers and layers of cheesy goodness that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
• 2 cans pinto beans
• 1 small white onion, blitzed
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 6 tbsp pork fat or vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 white onion, minced
• 1 tbsp chilli powder
• 1 tbsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tbsp cumin
• 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
• 1 tbsp chipotle paste
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 500ml passata
• 50g butter
• 50g plain flour
• 1 ltr whole milk
• 150g cheddar
• 150g monterey jack
• 2 packet tortilla
• 100g cheddar
• 100g monterey jack
• 100g mozzarella
• 2 green jalapenos, sliced
1. Gently warm the pork fat, add the onion paste and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another two minutes.
2. Tip in the beans and 200ml bean water and bring to the boil.
3. Stir and mash the beans with a wooden spoon until thick and creamy.
4. For the tex mex sauce: heat the oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes.
5. Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Add the salt, sugar and tomatoes and cook for around 15 minutes, until it reaches a sauce consistency.
7. For the béchamel sauce: warm the butter and add the flour.
8. Mix to a paste then slowly add the milk.
9. Stir while it thickens, for around 5 minutes.
10. Add the cheeses and remove from the heat as soon as it’s mixed in.
11. Preheat the oven to 190 C.
12. Start with tomato sauce and layer up the dish: tomato sauce, cheese, tortilla, beans, béchamel, tortilla, tomato sauce, cheese, tortilla, beans, béchamel, tortilla
13. Finish with a layer of béchamel then cheese and load with the jalapeño slices.
14. Cook for 25 minutes until bubbling and brown on top.