You've heard of yoghurt cake but how about mayonnaise cake? Don't knock it till you've tried it!
• 430ml mayonnaise
• 450g caster sugar
• 350g plain flour
• 100g cocoa
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 200ml freshly brewed coffee
• 250g unsalted butter, softened
• 500g icing sugar
• 50g chocolate, melted
• 50g dark chocolate, grated, to garnish
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 160 C fan.
2. Grease and line 2 x 20cm loose bottomed cake tins.
3. Make the cake by first whisking together the mayonnaise and caster sugar. Add the dry ingredients and fold in, then pour the coffee in and stir to combine.
4. Split the mixture between the two prepared tins and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool completely in the tins.
6. When ready to serve, make the buttercream by whisking together the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl. When combined add the melted chocolate and whisk again to combine.
7. Place two-thirds into a clean mayonnaise bottle.
8. Place one cake onto your serving plate and add one third of the icing to the top. Spread out with the back of a spoon or a spatula and place the second cake on top. Using the mayonnaise bottle pipe little kisses on top of the cake and then finally sprinkle with grated chocolate to serve.