The secret ingredient of this curry is okra & aubergine.
• 2 chicken legs, cut into bite sized pieces
• 1 red onion, roughly diced
• 20 grams ginger, finely chopped
• 20 grams lemongrass, finely chopped or blended
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 250 grams potatoes, cubed
• 150 grams carrot, cubed
• 160 milliliters coconut milk
• 200 milliliters chicken stock
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 3 tablespoons fish sauce
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 90 grams okra, cut into bite sized pieces
• 50 grams mange tout (optional)
• 15 grams thai basil
• 15 grams spring onion, thinly sliced
• 2 fresh birds-eye chillies
1. Heat a medium saucepan with vegetable oil and sweat off the red onion, ginger and lemongrass on a medium heat. Once the onion has softened, add the chicken to brown off.
2. Then add the curry powder, stirring well to coat the chicken.
3. Then add garlic, coconut milk and chicken stock, mixing well with the potatoes and carrot. Continue to cook with a lid on for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, cut the okra (adding any other vegetable of your choice) then season the curry with fish sauce, sugar and a pinch of black pepper, and add in the additional vegetables. Cook for a further 8- 10 minutes.
4. Garnish with thai basil and spring onions and a few slices of red birdseye chilli.
5. Serve with steamed rice or best with a fresh baguette and butter.