We found the only way to improve Korean Fried Chicken., cover it in melted cheese!
• 1.5 kg chicken wings - wings and tip separated
• Oil for deep frying
• 1kg cooking mozzarella
• 1 tbsp minced garlic
• 1 tsp finely grated ginger
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tbsp rice wine
• 2 tbsp hot sauce
• 4 tbsp ketchup
• 2 tbsp Gochujang
• 1 tbsp honey
• 1 tsp sesame oil
1. Make the Gochujang sauce by whisking all of the ingredients together. Put to one side until needed.
2. Heat 1 litre of oil to 130C, and pre-heat the oven to 200C.
3. Add as many chicken wings as you can submerge to the oil, bring it back to 130C, then cook for around 20 minutes, until it’s beginning to turn golden.
4. Drain the wings and turn the oil temperature up to 200C.
5. Line a heavy skillet with greaseproof paper, and pile in the grated cheese.
6. Fry the wings for a second time, in batches this time, until crispy and brown - around 10 minutes.
7. When you’re on the last batch of chicken, put the skillet in the hot oven and let the cheese melt for 10-15 minutes. The cheese might release some liquid while it cooks - if so, just drain this off before serving.
8. Pour the twice-fried crunchy hot wings into the Gochujang sauce and stir them around, then tip into the cheese skillet and serve, garnished with sliced spring onion and sesame seeds.