Waffles are great, but cheese stuffed waffles are better. Breakfast or dinner, these are perfect with crispy bacon and a runny poached egg.
• 8 slices bacon
• 2 eggs
• 255g plain flour
• 470ml buttermilk
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• Bacon fat (from frying the bacon)
• 450g mature cheddar/mozzarella or a mix of both
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Fry the bacon in 1 tbsp butter, then drain it and reserve the pan fat.
2. Preheat your waffle iron.
3. Beat the eggs in large bowl then stir in the flour, milk, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. Mix by hand or with electric whisk until smooth.
5. Pour in the reserved bacon fat, along with the grated cheese and fold through the batter.
6. Brush the waffle iron with a thin layer of oil or melted butter. Pour batter in, taking care not to overfill, then cook until golden brown. Repeat until all the batter is used up - or reserve some in the fridge for up to two days.
7. Serve the waffles hot, with crispy bacon and poached eggs.