Leave these eggnog cookie cups out for Santa and you won't be disappointed!
• 185g plain flour
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 110g softened butter
• 40g light soft brown sugar
• 40g caster sugar
• 1 egg yolk
• White chocolate, to coat the insides of the cups
• Eggnog recipe:
• 3 medium free-range eggs (as fresh as possible), separated
• 75g golden caster sugar
• 250ml whole milk
• 200ml double cream
• 175ml rum
• Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
1. Beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy, then add the egg yolk and beat again until fully incorporated. Add the flour and spices and beat until just combined and forming a dough.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C. Press a small piece of dough into the sides and bottom of each cup, making sure to work it all the way up the sides. Freeze for 30 minutes and then trim the tops of the cups.
3. Bake cookies for 14 - 16 minutes or until browned. While still warm use the handle of a wooden spoon to press cookie dough down and towards the side to reform the cups if they have puffed up.
4. Cool completely and remove from the dariole moulds.
5. Paint the inside of the cups with melted white chocolate and leave to dry.
6. For The Eggnog: whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with 100g/3½ oz of the caster sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and thick.
7. Stir in the milk, double cream, the rum and a good grating of nutmeg. Pour the mixture into glass bottles with stoppers and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
8. When ready to serve, place the egg whites into a clean metal or glass bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until foamy and opaque. Add the remaining 50g of sugar and whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
9. Pour the eggnog from the bottles into a large bowl and fold in the egg whites until well combined. Pour the eggnog into the gingerbread shot glasses and sprinkle over a little more nutmeg.