Give your roast an infusion of Indian flavours!
• Serves 6
• 1 whole chicken
• 1 heaped tablespoon curry paste
• Vegetable oil
• 1 kilogram potatoes, peeled and cut into 3 centimeters dice
• 2 teaspoons mustard black seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
• Cinnamon sticks
• Pinch chilli flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
2. Put the chicken onto a large baking tray and cover all over with the curry paste. Place half a lemon and a couple of cinnamon sticks into the cavity. Season with salt and pepper and put into the oven to roast for 30m.
3. Meanwhile boil the potato pieces for 3 minutes then drain and dry well. Remove the chicken from the oven and scatter the parboiled potatoes into to the tin with the mustard seeds, turmeric, chilli flakes and a very generous lug of oil and stir it all together with any juices. Season with salt and pepper and return to the oven for a further hour, turning the potatoes once half way through cooking. Serve right away.