This is one way to spice up your evenings with some Mexican style
• 1 onion
• 2 carrots
• 1 tablespoon of avocado oil or coconut oil
• 1 can of black beans, drained
• 1 cup of lentils
• 500 milliliters of veggie stock or chicken
• 1 can of tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
• 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
• 4 tablespoons of tomato concentrate
• 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1/3 teaspoon of cayenne
• Salt and pepper
• 2 avocados
• 1 lime
• Fresh coriander to serve
• 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
• 1 bag of tortilla chips
1. To make the chilli, finely chop the onion and carrot. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil into a pot and sauté the onion and carrots with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes until bronzed.
2. Add the crushed garlic, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cumin and cayenne and mix well with a tablespoon. of water. Let this cook for 30 seconds then pour over the stock, the lentils and beans.
3. Stir well and add in the tomatoes and tomato puree and a pinch of salt, bring the chilli to a high simmer then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 40 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the mixture is rich and fragrant.
4. Just before this is done mash the avocado with half the lime, a big pinch of salt and pepper smoked paprika and 1 tablespoon of finely chopped coriander.
5. Serve the chilli with the avocado and tortillas chips.