This authentic Pad Thai recipe from King Cook is hiding a secret. A delicious secret.
• 100g Tamarind block (not from concentrate)
• 250g Warm water
• 300g Raw Coconut Sugar
• 50g Tamari
• 20g Rice Vinegar
• 10g Paprika
• 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
• Vegan fish sauce:
• 300g Tamari
• 1 sheet of Nori Seaweed
• 1/2 tsp salt
• Tofu egg:
• 200g Fresh Firm Tofu
• 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
• 1/2 Tsp Kalanamak Salt
• 280g of dry Pad Thai noodles
• 2 Tbsp olive oil for stir-fry
• Handful of beansprouts
• Bunch of chopped Chinese chives
• 1 sliced shallot
• 1 clove of sliced garlic
• 250g mix veggies
• 1 Tbsp crushed peanuts
• 1 Tsp dry chilli flakes
• 1 wedge of lime
• Coriander to garnish
1. In a bowl add the tamarind block with tepid water and mash with hand separating the pips and pushing it through a sieve.
2. Now whisk the sugar, salt, paprika, tamari and vinegar with the tamarind.
3. Blend Tamari Nori Seaweed and salt together to make 'fish sauce'.
4. In a mixing bowl break up the firm tofu with hands and crumble. Then add turmeric, salt and mix.
5. Soak the pad Thai noodles for 10-15 minutes in warm water.
6. In a hot wok add oil, shallots, garlic, 'Tofu Egg' and veggies. Cook for a few minutes then add noodles, Pad Thai sauce, fish sauce and stir fry for a few more minutes.
7. Finally, add in the beansprouts and chives for some extra crunch.
8. Serve on a plate and garnish with crushed peanuts, dry chilli flakes, coriander and a wedge of lime.