Here's a vegan hack you weren't expecting, Bourguignon for the win!
• 1 pack of Linda McCartney sausages or Fry's family
• 1 kilogram potatoes
• 1 Carrot, sliced
• 2 Celery, sliced
• 1 Red onion
• 1 White onion, diced
• 1 Leek with greens attached, chopped
• Bunch of thyme
• 3 Bay leaves
• Bunch of parsley
• Few sprigs of Rosemary
• Small bunch of Basil
• 200 grams Brown button mushrooms
• 1 Bulb of garlic, minced
• 10 black peppercorns
• 350 milliliters of red vegan wine (PINOT)
• 500 milliliters veggie stock
• 100 milliliters olive oil
• 2 tablespoons vegan butter
• 1 Aubergine
• 1 Courgette
• 1-2 Mixed bell peppers
• 2 tablespoons Tomato puree
• 1/2 tin of plum tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons Nutritional yeast
• Salt/ Pepper to taste
• Plain flour for dusting
1. Peel and steam the potatoes until done (15-20 minutes. Cook the vegan sausages in a pan with olive oil, once done place on some paper towel and set aside.
2. In a big casserole pot heat olive oil and add in finely diced white onion, sliced celery, sliced carrots, minced garlic 1 potato diced, a few sprigs of thyme, tomato puree, black peppercorns and chopped white part of the leek keeping the greens for later. Season as you go with salt and pepper!
3. Cook all of this until the aromas are in the air and it's starting to brown then add in the chunks of red onion, aubergines, courgettes, bell peppers and halved button mushrooms then lightly dust with plain flour and cook until all the ingredients are incorporated and it's calling for liquid! Now bump up the heat and add in the red wine and reduce for a bit then add the plum tomatoes and veggie stock! By now all the ingredients in the pot
4. Should be submerged under the liquid!
5. Now add in 'bouquet garni' (rosemary, thyme, basil, bay leaves and parsley wrapped up in the green part of the leek and tied with a string) and let that all simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. Lastly add in the chopped sausages, nutritional yeast and vegan butter cook for 2 more minutes and serve with the steamed spuds and chopped parsley as garnish.