Looking for the worlds best veggie burger? Look no further!
Ultimate Veggie Burger
• 400g beetroot, leaves trimmed and washed
• 185g quinoa, cooked
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 egg
• 1/2 onion, finely diced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 tbsp milled flax seeds
• 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon
• 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
• 1 tsp salt
• 100g mozzarella, cut into cubes
• 300g mozzarella, in a block, sliced into 8 thin squares
• 200g seasoned flour
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 300g panko breadcrumbs
• A handful of fresh basil
• Zest of 1/2 a lemon
• 30g grated parmesan
• 100g Mayonnaise
• Red onions, thinly sliced
• Brioche buns
• Chips, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Place the beetroot onto a lined baking tin, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. Place the beetroot in a food processor and pulse two or three times, making sure you don't mash them completely.
5. Transfer the beetroot to a large bowl, add all the other ingredients and stir to combine. If the texture is too mushy add more breadcrumbs.
6. Oil 4 crumpet rings and place onto a baking tray. With wet hands, start to build the burger, placing spoonfuls of the beetroot mixture into the crumpet rings to come about 1/4 of the way up the ring. Press a cube of mozzarella into the middle of the burger and cover with some more beetroot mixture.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the crumpet ring and bake for 15 more minutes until crispy around the outside.
8. With the mozzarella squares, dip them first in flour, then in egg and then in breadcrumbs, dip once more in egg and finally in breadcrumbs again.
9. Fry in oil heated to 180C until golden and then keep warm in a low oven.
10. Place the basil, lemon, parmesan and half of the mayo in a food processor and blitz until smooth and green, place into a bowl and mix through the other half of the mayonnaise.
11. To build the burger, place some basil mayo on top of the bottom half of the burger bun followed by the lettuce and a slice of tomato. Place the burger down, followed by the crumbed mozzarella square and top with some more basil mayo.
12. Place the lid on top and enjoy!