Three healthy ways to use Turmeric!
• Turmeric & tofu scramble breakfast tortillas
• 1 block organic firm tofu
• 1 tsp turmeric powder
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
• 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
• Oil for cooking
• Corn tortillas
• Spring onions
• Hot sauce
• Turmeric & ginger tea
• 1 tumeric root
• 1 ginger root
• 1 lemon
• Muslin cloth
• Turmeric, ginger & chicken soup
• 1.5kg organic chicken
• 1 small head garlic, sliced horizontally, plus 3 garlic
• cloves, finely chopped, extra
• 5cm piece ginger, peeled, chopped, plus 1 tbs finely
• chopped, extra
• 1 kaffir lime leaf
• 2 red chillies
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp freshly grated turmeric or dried turmeric
• 1 can coconut milk
• 200g fresh carrot noodles
• 1 lime, juiced, plus wedges, extra, to serve
• 1 long fresh red chilli, finely sliced
• Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
1. Turmeric & tofu scramble breakfast tortillas
2. Drain the tofu from the water and crumble the tofu into small crumbs.
3. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
4. Add the tofu into the pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, pepper, salt and milk and stir well.
6. Serve on top of corn tortillas, with toppings of your choices.
8. Turmeric & ginger tea
9. Pre-heat your oven to 100 C.
10. Thinly slice the turmeric, ginger and lemon and place on a rack over a baking tray.
11. Place in the oven to dry out for 3 hours then set aside to cool.
12. Cut the muslin cloth into squares 10cm x 10cm.
13. Break the turmeric, ginger and lemon into smaller bits and place an equal amount of each into the centre of each muslin square.
14. Fold the sides over into the middle and twist to secure, tying with string to make a tea bag.
15. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
17. Turmeric, ginger & chicken soup
18. Place the chicken into a large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, over high heat, skimming and discarding any fat that comes to the surface. Reduce heat to low. Add the garlic, ginger, chillies and lime leaf. Simmer, skimming occasionally, for 1 hours or until the chicken is very tender. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside to cool. Shred the meat and strain the stock that the chicken has been poaching in, discarding the solids and reserving the liquid.
19. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the extra garlic and extra ginger. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Stir in the turmeric. Cook for 1 minute then slowly pour in the reserved chicken stock. Add the coconut milk. Simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly reduced and fragrant then season and stir in the lime juice.
20. Add the carrot noodles to the serving bowls and pour over the broth. Top with the shredded chicken, sliced chilli, coriander and lime wedges.