Add some sunshine in to your life this Christmas
• 380 grams chopped Mangos (roughly 2 large mangos)
• 180 grams tropical dried fruit mix
• 100 grams pitted dates
• 50 grams brazil nuts
• 1 lime
• 40 grams suet
• 1 1/2 teaspoon Ground Allspice
• 1 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
• 60 grams brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 300 milliliters rum
• 2 Jus-Rol Short Crust Pastry Sheets
• 1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 190C.
2. Peel the two mangos and chop into 1 centimeter cubes. (There should be around 380 grams of chopped mango for this recipe.)
3. Roughly chop the dates, the tropical fruit mix should already be chopped but if it isn't chop into raisin sized pieces.
4. Roughly chop the brazil nuts and toast for around 5 minutes in a large pan on a low heat until they are lovely, golden and aromatic.
5. Add the mango, dates, tropical fruit mix, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, sugar and honey cook for around 5 minutes, stirring constantly until fruit has softened.
6. Add suet and the zest and juice of lime and the rum.
7. Cook for around 15 - 20 minutes until the rum has reduced and it starts to resemble the texture of traditional mincemeat.
8. Using a circular and star shaped cookie cutter cut 12 of each shape into the pastry sheets.
9. To make the pies arrange the circles into a 12 hole cupcake tin followed by a teaspoon of mincemeat and top with a star. (If you wet the edges of the star it will help it to seal the pasty together.)
10. Finish by topping the mince pies with a brush of egg white and a sprinkle of brown sugar.
11. Bake in the oven at 200C for around 18 minutes.
12. Sprinkle with a bit of icing sugar and enjoy!