Boozy, indulgent, and perfect for the festive period. You've got to try this!
• 2 Tins of Peaches
• 600 milliliters Vanilla Custard (ready made)
• 500 milliliters heavy whipping cream
• 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
• 400 grams condensed milk
• 400 grams evaporated milk
• 200 milliliters double cream
• 5 tablespoons Dark Rum
• Vanilla sponge cake
• 5 large eggs (separated)
• 125 grams sugar
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 140 grams all-purpose (plain) flour (sifted)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• Chopped almonds and grated chocolate, to decorate
1. 1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. 2. Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
3. 3. Beat the egg whites on medium speed, 3 - 5 minutes.
4. When soft peaks form slowly add the sugar in small batches.
5. 4. Whip until stiff peaks form about 5 minutes. Set aside.
6. 5. In a medium bowl beat egg yolks at medium-high speed
7. For about 5 to 6 minutes, or until the egg yolks become pale coloured, creamy and puffy. Stir in vanilla.
8. 6. Pour the egg yolks over the egg whites, gently fold until
9. Just combined trying not to lose any volume from the
11. 7. Fold in the flour little by little in the form of rain. Mix until
12. Just combined (over-beating will result in a denser, flatter
14. 8. Pour the batter into the prepared sandwich tins.
15. 9. Bake in the preheated moderate oven for 25 minutes or
16. Until the toothpick comes out clean.
17. 10. Let it cool.
18. 11. Once cool, split the cake in half, flip the top of the cake
19. And place it on a base. Poke using a fork holes all over the
20. Cake to better absorb the three milk soaking liquid.
21. 12. Tres Leches: whisk together the condensed milk,
22. Evaporated milk, cream and rum.
23. 13. To assemble: Place one cake layer in the bottom of the
24. Trifle dish, flattest side up. Poke holes all over the cake with a
25. Fork. Pour the Tres Leches mixture over the cake.
26. 14. Let the milk soak.
27. 15. Top with custard, Peaches and whipped cream.
28. 16. Poke holes all over the flattest side of the 2nd cake layer.
29. 17. Set the cake layer over the whipped cream layer with
30. The flattest side up.
31. 18. Pour the tres leches mixture over the 2nd cake.
32. 19. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes if needed to help the milk
33. Mixture absorb.
34. 20. Top with the rest of the custard, cream, peaches and the
35. Remainder of the whipped cream. Decorate with chopped
36. Almonds and grated chocolate.
37. 21. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours (or up to 24 hours) before serving. Serve chilled.