These are the apple you get when they say unlimited toppings...
• 4 red apples
• 4 green apples
• 600 grams golden caster sugar
• 100 grams golden syrup
• 2 teaspoons vinegar
• 150 millilitres water, plus extra for brushing
• Red food colouring
• 500 grams marshmallows (divided in 2)
• 100 grams butter (divided in 2)
• 100 grams Rice Crispies or Cocoa Pops
• Hundreds and thousands, or other decorative sweets to dip into
• Candy eyes
1. Wash the apples and remove the stalks, then insert a wooden skewer into each one. Lay out baking paper on a tray big enough for all 8 apples.
2. Put the sugar, golden syrup, vinegar and water into a saucepan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Stand a sugar thermometer in the pan and leave it without stirring to come to a rolling boil. Use a pastry brush dipped in clean water to brush away any sugar crystals that form around the edge of the syrup, or else the whole pot can crystalise, and keep an eye on it until it reaches ‘hard crack’ temperature of 150 C.
3. Once it’s come to temperature, immediately take it off the heat and use a large spoon to spoon it all over four of the apples, letting any excess dribble back into the pot then standing them on the greaseproof paper to set. Add a small amount of food colouring to the remaining toffee and stir it through then use it to cover the remaining apples. Leave them all to cool for 15 minutes while you prepare the marshmallow.
4. Line a tray with baking paper and lightly oil it. Put the marshmallows and butter into a saucepan over a low heat, once melted, stir them all together and mix in the Rice Crispies or Cocoa Pops. Divide the mixture into 8 large spoonfuls and space them out on the baking paper.
5. Melt the remaining marshmallows and butter in the same saucepan and stir it together. Working with one apple at a time, dip it into the marshmallow mixture making it go halfway up the sides. Let the excess drip off then, with a wet hand, pick up one mound of Rice Crispy mixture and press that onto the bottom of the apple. Press it smoothly around the apple, leaving a line of marshmallow showing, then set that on baking paper to firm up.
6. Alternatively, dip into the marshmallow coating then dip into hundreds and thousands, or other sweets of choice. Finally, decorate with candy eyes to make faces.