In episode three of The Showdown, it's Waffles vs. Pancakes. Let the battle begin!
Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich
• 160g Plain Flour
• 2 Tsp Baking Powder
• 25g Caster Sugar
• 1 Egg Yolk
• 1 Egg White
• 70ml Vegetable Oil
• 300ml Milk
• 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
• Pinch Salt
• Vanilla Ice Cream
• Chocolate Ice Cream
• Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
• Crushed Peanuts
• Melted Chocolate
• Melted White Chocolate
• Crushed Pistachios
1. Sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Separate the eggs and beat the yolks, milk and oil together.
3. Whisk the whites until you have stiff peaks. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and combine.
4. Fold in the egg whites.
5. Spray the waffle iron with vegetable spray and ladle on the batter. Cook for 3-4 mins or until golden. Allow to cool once cooked.
6. Take a scoop of ice cream and place it onto one waffle. Sandwich a second waffle on top.
7. Dip the corner of the waffle in melted chocolate and sprinkle on different toppings. Place the waffles back in the freezer to firm up and then serve.
Vegan Eton Mess Pancakes
• For the pancakes:
• 60g oat flour
• Half of one over-ripe banana - mashed
• 1 tbsp of chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp of rice milk
• 175ml rice milk
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 1 tsp baking powder
• Vegan meringue:
• Liquid from a 400g can chickpeas
• 125g caster sugar
• Piping bag
• Balsamic strawberries:
• 250g hulled and halved strawberries
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 110 degrees.
2. Whisk the the chickpea liquid for 10 minutes. It will become thick, stiff and creamy with soft peaks.
3. Add in the caster sugar gradually into the chickpea froth and keep whisking for a further 5 minutes.
4. Pipe the meringues onto a lined tray and bake in the
5. pre-heated oven for 2-3 hours.