Who wins your Oscar? Cake. Cake always wins.
• 200g plain flour
• 45g cocoa powder
• 2 tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 100g soft light brown sugar
• 180g caster sugar
• 80g unsalted butter, softened
• 240ml whole milk
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 450g icing sugar
• 150g unsalted butter, softened
• 35-40ml whole milk
• 25g unsalted butter
• 135g mini marshmallows
• 80g Rice Krispies
• 200-300g white chocolate, melted
• Gold edible food paint
1. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl and in a separate jug whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and two sugars until creamy.
3. Add ⅓ of the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on a slow/medium speed. Add in half of the dry ingredients and beat.
4. Scrape down your bowl and beat in ½ of the remaining wet ingredients followed by the remaining dry ingredients. Once combined mix in the last of the wet ingredients.
5. Once the mixture is smooth, spoon into cupcake cases. Bake in a preheated oven at 190ºC for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. For the buttercream sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the butter and half the milk and beat until sandy.
7. Add the remaining milk and beat for a good five minutes until the icing is paler in colour and is light and fluffy. Place into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
8. For the Oscars add the marshmallows and butter into a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave. Depending on the microwave power, heat for 1 minute and stir and then heat in 15 second intervals until smooth. If you don’t have a microwave you can use a bain-marie.
9. Stir in the Rice Krispies until evenly mixed. Using clean hands, mould mixture into mini Oscars. Dampen your hands if the mixture becomes too sticky. Place Oscars onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the fridge to firm up.
10. Once firm dip and coat each Oscar into the melted white chocolate. Scrape off any excess and place back in the fridge until set. Once set, paint with edible gold paint and leave to dry.
11. To assemble, pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake and press an Oscar into the centre. Enjoy :D