We've taken your giant cinnamon roll and given it a British Summer twist. What's a picnic without strawberries and cream?
• For the dough:
• 250ml lukewarm milk
• 75g caster sugar
• 7g (1 sachet) fast action dried yeast
• 90g unsalted butter, melted
• 1 egg
• 500g plain flour
• For the filling:
• 200g cream cheese
• 25g icing sugar
• 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
• 200g strawberries
• 1 jar seedless strawberry jam (reserve 2 tbsp for later)
• For the topping:
• 50g cream cheese
• 2 tbsp reserved strawberry jam
• 1-2 tsp milk
1. To make the dough, add the milk, caster sugar, yeast, melted butter and egg to a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. With the motor running, slowly add the flour, until it’s all incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then knead with the dough hook for 10 minutes. Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover, and let it prove somewhere warm until doubled in size - about an hour.
2. Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla together and finely slice the strawberries lengthways. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
3. When the dough has risen, knock it back and turn onto a floured surface. Roll it out into a large rectangle approximately 30cm by 40cm, then slice it into 3 long strips.
4. Spread a spoonful of strawberry jam along one long half of each dough strip, and cream cheese filling across the other half. Place strawberry slices on top of one half, then fold it over on itself, so that you have a long parcel - open along one long edge and folded on the other. Prepare all three strips of dough.
5. Take one and, with the open side pointing up, and starting at the middle of the tray, wrap the dough round and round itself like a snail. Continue with the other two pieces of dough, until you have one big swirl. Insert a few more slices of strawberries in any gaps, then cover the dough again and put in a warm place until it’s almost doubled in size - around 30 to 60 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan). When the dough has risen, bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Loosen up the remaining cream cheese with a small amount of milk and mix in 2 tbsp of strawberry jam. Put the icing into a piping bag and drizzle it across the bun. Then slice it to serve.