A squid ink twist on an epic seafood dish!
• 200g Semolina
• 200g Pasta Flour
• 3 whole eggs
• 4 egg yolks
• squid ink paste
• Hand full of clams
• White Wine
• Olive oil
1. On a clean bench place flour and semolina into a mound. Make a well in the centre pour in the whole eggs, yolks and squid ink. Start mixing with your fingers, gradually bringing the flour into the centre forming a sticky dough.
2. Fold additional flour into the dough turning it as you go. Continue this for a few minutes until a ball starts to form.
3. Begin kneading the dough - pressing down and forward. Continue this until the dough develops a smooth, elastic texture. Balance with flour and water if needed, to reach the perfect texture. Rest for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out dough to a thin disc so that it is able to fit through the pasta machine. Begin with the pasta machine at the widest setting and pass through. Narrow the setting down by 2 notches and pass through again.
5. Fold dough together and repeat the process twice.
6. Continue passing the dough through each of the settings, reducing it by 1 every time until you reach your desired thickness. It should now be slightly translucent.
7. Now feed the dough through the tagliarini attachment.
8. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add in your pasta and cook for 3-4 mins.
9. Heat a deep pan, add the oil, garlic and chilli. Fry until garlic begins to golden, add the clams, a splash of white wine and cover. Cook until the shells open.
10. Add the pasta to the pan and toss/reduce (work the starch) until you get a thickish sauce.