Does anyone know where the name spotted dick comes from?
• 320g self raising flour
• 140g vegetable suet
• 100g caster sugar
• 120g currants
• 2 oranges, for zesting, save the oranges for the trifle
• 200ml whole milk
• For the trifle - you will need enough of everything to
• fill whatever size trifle dish you use:
• Jar of raspberry jam
• 250g Raspberries
• 500ml Custard
• 4 egg whites and a 250 ml sugar syrup to make the
• Toasted flaked almonds to top
• 1-3 shots of sherry, optional
1. Mix together all the dry spotted dick ingredients. Once well mixed, beat in the milk until it forms a dough.
2. Grease a pudding bowl and add this mix to it. Cover the top with a greaseproof paper circle. Place the bowl into a large pan and fill round the outside with boiling water, so it is half way up the bowl. Place on a high heat and once boiling again, turn to a simmer and cook for an hour or until the sponge is cooked but still moist.
3. To make the trifle, break up the spotted dick and place at the bottom of the trifle dish. Pour over the sherry if using. Layer over enough jam to cover, followed with enough custard to cover. Slice the zested oranges and layer on next. Face some of the orange slices up against the glass add in some raspberries and toasted almonds. Repeat the layering until the dish is full.
4. Beat the egg whites into soft peaks and then continue whisking whilst adding in the sugar syrup until it forms stiff peaks. Spoon over the meringue topping and blow torch the top. You can always use whipped cream if you prefer. Finish with a handful of toasted almonds.