Here's how to make the perfect Tofu Bolognese!
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
• 1 block extra firm tofu
• 1/2 chilli, finely chopped
• 1 onion, finely sliced
• 1 tbsp oregano, chopped
• 500ml passata
• 3 courgettes
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Mix all of the seasonings together in a large bowl. It will make a brown paste-like texture.
2. Open and drain the tofu then crumble with your fingers into the bowl along with the seasoning. Do this with all of the tofu until you have a large bowl of crumbles.
3. Combine the tofu with the seasoning making sure all of the tofu is evenly coated.
4. Line a baking tray with baking paper, or lightly grease the tray. Spread the tofu mixture evenly over the tray. Bake for 35 to 45 mins, stopping to stir the tofu every now and then. Keep a close eye on it towards the end so that it doesn't burn. You want the tofu to be nice and browned. The smaller crumbles will be darker than the larger crumbles, and that's ok because it will provide a variety of texture.
5. In the meantime fry the chilli and onion until soft then add the oregano and passata, and cook till slightly thickened. Add the tofu ‘mince’ and cook for 5 mins.
6. Spiralise the courgettes.
7. Fry the sliced garlic in 75ml oil until browned and crisp then pour off half of the oil. Add the courgette and fry for 1 minute or until warmed through. Serve with the sauce over the top.