here's a great hack for getting that true smokey flavour in our aubergine salad!
• 3 x large aubergine
• 4 x long red peppers
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 100ml olive oil
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 1/4 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp ground allspice
• 75ml pomegranate molasses
• Seeds from one large pomegranate
• 4 large tomatoes, chopped
• Large bunch parsley
• Small bunch mint
1. Cook the aubergines and peppers over the naked flame of a gas hob, turning them with tongs, until they are black and blistered.
2. When done, put the peppers and aubergines into separate food bags to help steam the skins away from the flesh. Let them cool like this for about 20 minutes.
3. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, slip and scrape the charred skins away from the flesh. Split the pepper lengthwise and remove the stalk and seeds.
4. Split the aubergine lengthways and pull out the flesh, leaving the cooked skin behind.
5. Get rid of the stalks and skins from the aubergines and peppers, then roughly chop the flesh from both.
6. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, garlic, cinnamon and allspice.
7. Add most of the pomegranate seeds and chopped herbs - keeping some back to add at the end - to with the aubergine and peppers.
8. Mix through, then transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with extra molasses, then top with the remaining herbs and seeds.
9. Serve alongside hot flatbread and dips.