It's time to slow down with ribs slow-cooked in banana leaves. They're marinated and cooked for hours in a earthy, spicy, citrus blend. Bonus: tequila is involved.
• 4 pounds pork spareribs
• 5 tablespoons achiote (annatto seeds)
• 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon cloves
• 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 6 garlic cloves
• 3/4 cup orange juice
• 3/4 cup lime juice
• Salt to taste
• Banana leaves
1. In a skillet on medium-low heat, toast all the spices, except the oregano, for about 5 minutes or until fragrant. Allow to slightly cool and transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Grind into a powder.
2. In a blender, combine the citrus juices, garlic, oregano, ground spices, and salt.
3. Cover the ribs with the mixture, and let marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. Line a slow-cooker or roasting pan with banana leaves. Place the ribs and marinade inside, and cover with another banana leaf.
5. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. If roasting in an the oven, cook at 325F for 4 hours.
6. 6. Remove ribs from the slow cooker and transfer to a banana leaf-lined baking sheet. Broil for about 6-8 min, or until the surface is browned.