A Shakespeare day fruit cake treat!
• 500 grams mixed dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, currants,
• Dates, apricots, figs)
• 120 grams muscovado sugar
• 1 orange + zest
• 1/2 a diced quince (optional)
• 3 eggs
• 250 grams margarine/ butter/ dripping
• 250 grams Self-Raising flour
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• Grating of nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon dried ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon cloves
• 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
• 4 tablespoons apricot jam
• Pint of dark sweet ale
1. In a pan heat up fat with 2 tablespoons jam, the orange zest and juice, 4 tablespoons of the ale, the dried fruit and the finely diced quince. Let it cook for five minutes then set aside to cool.
2. When cool, add the eggs and the dry ingredients.
3. Grease cupcake tray and spoon out mixture evenly.
4. Cook at 170C for 1 hour.
5. To make the glaze: In a pan toast the almonds, add remaining jam and a splash of water.
6. Top with glaze when out of the oven and consume with remaining ale.