Is this what they mean by, "winner winner chicken dinner?" Spruce up your usual chicken dinner with this Japanese negimaki-inspired dish.
• 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
• 2 bunches scallions, roots trimmed and left whole
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 3 tablespoons cold water
• Sesame seeds
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pan on med-low heat, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Place trimmed scallions in the mixture and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until simmering. Remove from heat and set aside to slightly cool.
2. Pound chicken until thin and dry well with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
3. Place a few scallions on one end of each chicken, and roll up the cutlets. Secure with toothpicks and slice in half
4. Combine cornstarch and water with the cooled remaining sauce in the pan.
5. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium. Grill chicken rolls on all sides, while brushing on the sauce, until fully cooked.
6. Serve with more sauce on top and a general sprinkling of sesame seeds.