What happens when you combine a Nigerian meat pie with a British mince pie?
• Flour (all-purpose) 375g
• Unsalted Butter (diced) 260g
• Caster Sugar 125g
• Egg (large) 2ea (1 beaten)
• Salt 1/4 teaspoon
• Mango (firm, diced) 1ea
• Pineapple (diced) 20g
• Dark brown sugar 1/4 c
• Ground Beef (lean) 600g
• Salt 1/2 teaspoon
• Allspice 1/2 teaspoon
• Nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon
• Cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon
• Tangerine (chopped) 2ea
• Lemon (zest) 1ea
• Ginger (grated) 1/4 teaspoon
1. Heat oven to 180C
2. Combine flour, butter and rob together, don't overmix. Then add in sugar, salt and 1 egg
3. Knead dough until it just comes together into a ball.
4. Wrap in plastic and keep refrigerated for 20min
5. Heat up a medium sauté pan, add mangoes and pineapple and cook until they brown.
6. To the caramelized fruits add sugar and allow to melt with the fruits. Then add beef, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cook for 3-5min and allow mincemeat to cool.
7. Add tangerine, lemon zest and ginger to the mix
8. Divide dough into 60 grams balls, flatten and line the bottom of muffin trays with them.
9. Scoop in the mincemeat, and top with another cutout circle of the dough. Brush with egg
10. Bake mince pies for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
11. Allow it to cool, then dust with powdered sugar