Your classic Battenburg cake with a salted caramel twist!
• 380g unsalted butter, softened
• 380g caster sugar
• 6 eggs
• 280g self-raising flour
• 90g ground almonds
• 1 tsp pink food colouring
• Caramel sauce:
• 30ml water
• 100g light brown sugar
• 100ml double cream
• 20g unsalted butter
• Ready to roll marzipan
1. Start by beating the butter and sugar together. Once pale and fluffy beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is well combined.
2. Fold through the sieved flour and ground almonds, making sure any lumps of this are also removed. Divide the mix into two and to one add the pink
4. Preheat the oven to 180 and line and grease a loaf tin.
5. To lay the Battenberg, place a divider into the middle of the tin, this could be a piece of card for example. Place pink on one side and the almond mix on the other. Once halfway up the tin, swap the sides and place the alumni mix on top of the pink side and vice versa.
6. Bake in the hot oven for 20 mins until cooked through. While doing this, make the caramel sauce by adding the sugar to a pan. It needs to melt away and start to bubble. You don’t need to stir the mix. Once the sugar has darkened in colour slightly, stir in the butter. Take off the high heat and stir through the cream.
7. Once the cake and the sauce have both cooled, use an apple corer to take out the middle of the cake. Do this from both ends to make it easier, don’t discard the inner cake yet.
8. Break an inch of the cake off and place back in one end of the cored cake. Using a funnel, fill the cake with the caramel sauce until nearly to the top. Then repeat with another inch of cake at the other end.
9. Serve with the remaining sauce. Perfect to surprise your friends, especially the secret centre!