Salt and pepper is a takeaway favourite but here are three awesome ways to make it at home!
• 350g small cleaned squid, bodies and tentacles
• 6 baby aubergine, split lengthways
• 1 pack firm tofu
• 4 tbsp black peppercorns
• 4 tbsp sichuan peppercorns
• 4 tbsp sea salt flakes
• 300g potato flour
• 2 eggs, whisked
• 10 spring onions
• 3 large red chillies, sliced
• 2 x garlic, minced
• 3 tbsp oyster sauce
• 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1. Dry roast the peppercorns, then crush in a pestle and mortar along with the salt - put 1 tbsp aside.
2. Mix the rest with the potato flour, then set that aside.Squid/aubergine/tofu
3. Dip in seasoned flour, egg, then flour again.
4. Fry at 180C until lightly browning, and remove, be careful not to over-cook.
5. Drain on kitchen paper.
6. Fry the spring onions in 1 tbsp oil for 1-2 minutes, until starting to brown.
7. Add the garlic and chilli, and cook for 1 minute more.
8. Add the oyster and soy sauces, stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes until turning sticky.
9. Serve on top of the salt and pepper dishes, with a squeeze of fresh lime.