Winterize salad with hearty grains. This Roasted Root Vegetable & Farro Salad will keep you fueled and filled through the winter season.
• 4 small golden beets, scrubbed, quartered
• 2 medium multi colored carrots, scrubbed, sliced in half and cut into 1 inch chunks
• 1 medium parsnip, scrubbed, sliced in half and cut into 1 inch chunks
• 2 shallots, quartered
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 cup pearled farro, rinsed
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette (store-bought or homemade)
• Juice of 1 meyer lemon
• 3 cups baby arugula
• 1/2 cup shelled and salted pistachios , chopped
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed sheet tray with foil.
2. Add beets, carrots, parsnips and shallots to the sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Season with salt and pepper and toss all together with hands. Roast until tender and golden, about 25- 30 minutes. Stir halfway through roasting.
4. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the farro to a large saucepan of boiling salted water. Cook until tender but still chewy, about 10-15 minutes (depending on brand). Drain well in a colander.
5. In a small bowl whisk balsamic vinaigrette with meyer lemon juice, set aside until ready to use.
6. Add farro to a large serving bowl, toss in the roasted vegetables, arugula.
7. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss all together. Top with pistachios, cranberries and feta. Serve room temperature.