Pumpkin Pasties inspired by the Harry Potters books and films!
• 150g caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 can (425g) pumpkin puree
• 340ml evaporated milk
• 15g unsalted butter, melted
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp nutmeg
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp ginger
• ½ tsp allspice
• sweet shortcrust pastry
• milk/egg wash
• caster sugar
1. Beat together the eggs and caster sugar until well combined.
2. Mix in the pumpkin puree followed by the evaporated milk and melted butter.
3. Add the salt and spices and mix.
4. Pour into an 11 x 7-inch brownie tin and bake at 200ºC for 25-30 minutes. Once baked leave to cool completely.
5. Roll out pastry 2-3mm thick and cut out rounds. I use a small tart tin which is 10cm in diameter. Re-roll the pastry to get more circles but never re-roll more than once.
6. Add a spoonful of the cooled pumpkin mixture into the centre of each pastry round and slightly spread it out.
7. Lift up one end of the pastry and fold it over to meet the other edge. Press the pastry together with your fingers before securing it shut by pressing a fork all around the edge.
8. Use a sharp knife to cut 3 small slits into the top of each pastie, I like to cut my middle one to look like Harry Potter's scar. These slits will help the steam release.
9. Brush each pasty with the egg/milk wash before sprinkling over some sugar.
10. Bake them in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool slightly and then enjoy :D