Sweet & Savory, Crunchy & Chewy. All at once.
• For the brownies:
• 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup pretzels, roughly chopped
• Whole pretzels for topping
• For the caramel:
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup water
• 2/3 cup heavy cream
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
• 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, melt 3/4 cup of bittersweet chocolate chips
2. And butter in the microwave. Stir and set aside to slightly cool.
3. In another bowl, combine sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract. Once the melted
4. Chocolate has cooled, add it to the sugar mixture and mix well.
5. Stir in the flour, chocolate chips, and roughly chopped pretzels. Pour the batter into a
6. Parchment-lined 8x8 baking dish, and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until an
7. Inserted toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
8. Make the caramel: whisk sugar and water in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-low heat. Stop whisking once the sugar dissolves, to prevent crystallization. Instead, occasionally swirl the saucepan, while bringing the mixture to a simmer. You may brush the sides of the pot with a little water to dissolve any crystals. Once the mixture turns amber in color, whisk in the cream. Then add a few butter cubes at a time, and whisk well. Mix in salt and set aside to cool.
9. Spread an even layer of the caramel over the surface of the brownies. Place whole pretzels on top. Slice and serve.