After an intense workout, re-energize with sweet, crispy and protein-packed cinnamon French toast.
• 2 eggs, separated
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 thick slices of white bread, crusts removed
• 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 banana, sliced, to serve
• Small handful of blueberries, to serve
• Maple syrup, to serve
1. In a mixing bowl, add egg yolks, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Whisk until totally combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until light and frothy. Add the whites to the yolk mixture and gently fold in.
3. Dip the bread into the mixture, turning it a couple of times for even coverage. Let the bread sit in the mixture for a minute or so to absorb as much of the tastiness as possible.
4. In a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil. Carefully lay the soaked slices of bread in the pan. Fry the bread for about 2 minutes on each side, keeping an eye out to ensure it doesn’t burn. The French toast should be gloriously golden and spongy to the touch when finished. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
5. Serve French toast topped with banana slices, blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.