This pork belly is pretty fancy.... and so good.
• 600 grams pork belly, skin removed, sliced and chopped into inch or less cubes
• 12 quails eggs and/ or 4 chicken eggs, hard boiled, peeled
• 3 asian shallots or medium onion, finely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
• 2 birds eye chillies, whole
• 400 milliliters of coconut water
• 200 milliliters cider
• 2 tablespoons coconut caramel
• 5 tablespoons premium quality fish sauce to season
• Pinch of black pepper
1. Cut the pork belly into bite sized pieces with skin. Hard boil and peel the eggs and set aside.
2. Sweat off the shallots in a medium saucepan for about 5 minutes then add half the meat to colour off then the other half. Pour into the saucepan the coconut juice and coconut caramel (for colouring and a smoky flavour). Bring to a gentle boil. Remove scum and season with premium quality fish sauce and a generous pinch of black pepper.
3. Add all the eggs to the pot and simmer with the lid on with whole chillies for at least 2 hours.
4. Serve with steamed rice. Also delicious with a fried egg.
5. If you can not find coconut caramel, melt and caramelise some palm sugar or raw cane sugar for colouring.