Ever thought of putting bananas into a lasagne?
• 6 plantains
• 500 grams beef
• 400 grams chopped tomatoes
• 380 grams black beans in water
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 1 onion
• 1 long red pepper, sliced lengthways and deseeded
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1 teaspoon coconut oil
• 2 oxo beef stock cubes
• 1 tablespoon soy
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 3 eggs
• 1 tablespoon grated parmesan (optional)
1. Using a mandolin or sharp knife slice the 4 plantain lengthways into long thin strips. (Cut off ends first to make it easier to peel).
2. Spray or brush plantain with cooking oil (I used coconut oil) and bake on nonstick parchment paper for 58 minutes on each side at 180C.
3. Meanwhile cook onions in 1 teaspoon oil and add the red pepper. Cook until onions are transparent and add the garlic, spices, crushed stock cubes, vinegar and soy sauce.
4. Add beef and cook until browned then add the beans and chopped tomato. Simmer for 1015 minutes until liquid has reduced.
5. In a rectangular pie dish layer the plantain followed by beef mixture, repeat and finish with a top layer of plantain.
6. Using a fork whip 3 eggs and pour this over the lasagne followed by parmesan.
7. Bake for 1520 minutes at 180C.
8. Top with coriander and serve.