Pure British Summer in a bowl
• 200 milliliters Pimm's, plus a dash
• Juice and zest of 2 lemon and 2 oranges
• 75 grams icing sugar
• Bunch of mint
• 1/4 cucumber, sliced
• 200 grams trifle sponge fingers
• 1 large punnet of strawberries (about 700g)
• 100 grams strawberry jam
• 1 large pot double cream (600 milliliters)
• 600 milliliters vanilla custard
1. Mix together the Pimm's, 75 grams icing sugar, citrus juices, half of the mint and cucumber in a bowl. Blast in microwave for 30 secs at a time until the sugar's melted. Leave to infuse for as long as you can and then strain.
2. Stick two trifle sponges together with strawberry jam. Dip into the juices and arrange round the sides and bottom of a trifle dish. Pour over the rest of the syrup and leave it to soak.
3. Slice some of the strawberries in half lengthways and place cut side out around the dish in a circle above the lady's fingers. Chop the others up however you like and pop on top of them. Pour the custard over the berry layer.
4. Whip up the double cream and dash of Pimm's until soft peaks form. Pick off small mint leaves and pop them on top for garnish. Chill in the fridge for 3 hours before serving.