Crumble in the autumnal jungle
• Serves 6
• 6 ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped into 1 centimeter pieces
• 25 grams light brown soft sugar
• 100 grams plain flour
• 50 grams butter, chilled and diced
• 50 grams light brown soft sugar
• 25 grams oats
• 600 milliliters custard
• 100 grams dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
2. In a bowl, mix together the pears and brown sugar. Divide the mixture between 6 large ramekins, spooning over any juice.
3. To make the crumble, place the flour and butter in a bowl and, with your fingertips, rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and oats.
4. Spoon the crumble over the pears and press down lightly. Place the crumbles on a baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
5. Warm the custard in a saucepan then add the chocolate pieces. Stir until melted and well combined. Serve right away with the hot crumbles