A savoury twist on ice cream made with pear and blue cheese
• 1 pound of pears, chopped
• 125 milliliters pear juice
• 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• Pinch salt
• 600 milliliters double cream
• 3 large egg yolks
• 60 grams caster sugar
• 125 grams blue cheese, crumbled
1. Add chopped pears, pear juice, lemon juice and 30 grams caster sugar into a pan. Bring mixture to a boil and let it simmer until the pears are tender and the juice has reduced by half. Make sure to stir occasionally.
2. Leave to chill before pureeing into an almost smooth mixture.
3. Gently heat double cream in a pan until very hot but not boiling. Don't let the cream come to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining 30 grams caster sugar until the mixture is smooth and paler in colour.
5. Gradually pour and whisk in a third of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture before pouring that mixture back into the pan with the remaining cream.
6. Continue to heat until the mixture thickens and it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Take the mixture off the heat, stir in the blue cheese until mostly melted and then leave it to cool.
7. Pour the cream mixture into a plastic container and stir in the pear puree. Place this into the freezer to set stirring every 30 minutes to an hour until the ice cream has set. If you have an ice cream maker you can use that following the machine instructions.
8. Once set scoop up and enjoy :D