This 200-year-old recipe has survived the test of time for one good reason...It's amazing.
• 1 whole egg (large)
• 2 egg yolks (large)
• 115 grams golden caster sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornflour
• 400 milliliters full fat milk
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
1. Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin and pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6.
2. Put egg, yolks, sugar & cornflour in a pan and mix well together then gradually add the milk until mixture is well mixed and smooth.
3. Place pan on medium heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
4. Put custard in a glass/ceramic bowl to cool and cover with cling film to prevent skin forming.
5. Cut pastry sheet into two pieces and place them on top of each other. Roll the pastry tightly, from the short side, into a log and cut the log into 12 even sized rounds.
6. On a lightly floured board, roll each round into a disc (approx. 10 centimeters) and press the pastry discs into the muffin tin.
7. Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling although they can be eaten warm.