Move over carrot, there's another veg in town
• 200 milliliters sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
• 300 grams self-raising flour
• 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 300 grams caster sugar
• 375 grams parsnips, finely grated
• 4 medium free-range eggs, beaten
• For the icing:
• 75 grams butter, softened
• 300 grams full-fat cream cheese
• 150 grams icing sugar, plus extra to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease two 20 centimeters loose-bottomed round cake tins and line the base with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Add the sugar and grated parsnips, then stir until well combined. Stir in the beaten eggs and oil, then mix well.
3. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack, leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely before icing.
4. For the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer until really soft. Add the cream cheese and beat again until well mixed. Sift over the icing sugar, then beat until smooth.
5. Spread half the icing between the cake layers and the other half on top. Decorate with any remaining crumbs.