Pandan Chicken & Rice is a healthy and delicious way to mix up your mid-week dinners!
• 500g skinless chicken thighs
• 12-15 pieces (1 leaf per chicken piece) pandan leaf
• 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
• 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
• 2 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1-inch ginger, roughly chopped
• 2 tbsp coconut milk
• Oil for deep frying
• 200g jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
• 150ml coconut milk
• 150ml cold water
• Pinch salt
• 2 pandan leaves, rinsed and dried
1. In a bowl, mix together the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, chopped ginger and coconut milk and stir to combine.
2. Put the chicken into a mixing bowl with the marinade, and chill for four hours.
3. After marinating, wrap each chicken thigh in a pandan leaf, securing with a cocktail stick.
4. Heat a splash of sesame oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken thighs for 5 - 7 minutes on each side. When they are nearly done, add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid to steam the chicken thighs and make sure they are cooked all the way through.
5. Serve with the pandan rice and some of the pan juices drizzled over the top.
6. Pandan coconut rice: tie the pandan leaves into a knot.
7. Put the rice into a saucepan. Add the coconut milk, water and pinch of salt.
8. Add the pandan leaf knot and bring to the boil.
9. Once it boils, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes - quickly fluff up the rice then return the lid to the pan.
10. Turn off the heat and leave covered for 20 minutes, then serve.