Dim Sum inspired by your favourite retro game... Pac Man!
• 50g wheat starch
• 50g tapioca starch
• Pinch salt
• 1/4 tsp melted lard
• 160ml boiling water
• 20 prawns - peeled, washed and dried
• 50g bamboo shoot, finely chopped
• 1 tsp salt for marinating
• 3/4 tsp salt for seasoning
• 1 tsp sugar
• 5g corn starch
• 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
• 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
• 2 tsp sesame oil
• 1 tbsp melted lard
1. Mix all the dry ingredients for the dough, then pour in boiling water (it must be boiling!) and mix quickly.
2. Add the oil, which should bring the dough together, then knead until soft and silky. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it stand while you prepare the filling.
3. Clean and devein the shrimps. Marinade in salt for 5 minutes then wash under running water and dry.
4. Chop the prawns and bamboo shoots into small pieces, then add the seasoning ingredients (salt, sugar, corn starch, ground white pepper, Shaoxing wine and sesame oil) and mix through.
5. Roll the dough into a long cylinder and cut into 15 pieces.
6. Oil your hands, board and rolling pin.
7. Keep the rest of the dough covered while you roll one piece into a circle.
8. Add a spoonful of filling to this wrapper, then shape - folding the wrapper in the har gow style.
9. Repeat until you have used up the dough or filling.
10. Place the dumplings in the bamboo steamer and steam for 6 minutes, then serve immediately.