Okonomiyaki is the Japanese pancake packed full of all your favourite treats!
• Pork belly/bacon slices
• 6 prawns
• 2 eggs
• 100g flour
• 30g yam flour
• 1 tsp dashi powder
• 1/4 tsp baking powder
• Tempura scraps
• 1 tsp bonito
• 160ml water
• 2 spring onions finely chopped
• 250g shredded pointed cabbage
• 50g raw potato, grated
• 1 tsp Japanese red pickled ginger, finely sliced
• Oil for frying
• Kewpie mayonnaise
• Okonomiyaki sauce
• Anori / seaweed flakes
• Bonito flakes
1. Mix the okonomiyaki flour and yam flour with 160ml water, then beat in 2 eggs.
2. Add the shredded cabbage, spring onions and raw potato - mix gently.
3. Heat a small cast iron pan and add a teaspoon of fat.
4. Gently spoon half of the batter into the pan and cook for three minutes.
5. Add rashers of pork and prawns to the top of the pancake then carefully flip it over in the pan.
6. Cover the pan for 5 minutes then remove the lid and flip the pancake for a second time.
7. After two minutes, transfer the pancake to a plate and serve with okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise, anori seaweed flakes and bonito.