These pancakes have a delicious Nutella centre!
• 200g Nutella
• For the pancakes:
• 190g plain flour
• 3 tbsp caster sugar
• 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 egg
• 1 egg white
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 250ml buttermilk
1. Spread the Nutella out on a piece of baking parchment and place onto a baking tray. Place the tray in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sheet is firm.
2. Remove tray from the freezer and stamp out 4cm circles from the Nutella with a cookie cutter. Keep in the freezer until needed.
3. Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium-low heat.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the whole egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk and whisk until fully combined.
5. Whisk the egg white in a clean bowl until medium-stiff peaks are formed and then fold into the pancake batter.
6. Grease a 6cm deep cookie cutter with vegetable oil and add a little oil to the pan as well. Place the cookie cutter into the pan and pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter into the cookie cutter. Place 1 frozen Nutella disc into the centre of the batter then top the disc with enough batter to cover completely. Cook on a very low heat for 5 - 7 minutes - when the batter begins to bubble the pancake is ready to be flipped.
7. Flip and cook the pancake for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until the other side is golden brown, then release the sides with a palette knife to remove the cookie cutter and remove the pancake from the pan.
8. Keep the completed pancakes warm while preparing the remaining pancakes. Serve warm with maple syrup.