The only acceptable way to drink apple juice at Christmas time!
• 6 sweetened apples, reserving a couple of slices for garnish if you fancy
• 2 Bramley apples
• 2-3 cinnamon sticks
• 3 tablespoons Soft brown sugar
• 4 cloves
• 1 star anise
• 2 clementines
• 1 vanilla pod
• Whole nutmeg for grating
• Cinnamon powder for decoration, optional
1. Start by making the apple juice. Cut the apples into quarters, core and all, and place in a large pan with 600 milliliters of water. Bring to the boil and add in the sugar.
2. After about 20 minutes mash the apples with a potato masher. Once the apples are completely softened, sieve into another medium pan, watering down if needed. Add in the juice of one of the clementines and its peel, a cinnamon stick, the cloves and the star anise. Cut the vanilla pod open and all to the pan. Let this fuse, stirring occasionally. Grate in some nutmeg.
3. Once hot and fused, pass through a sieve into a glass. Add a spoonful of the leftover pulp. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and peelings of the other clementines and a slice of apple if you fancy.