These succulent Mojo Pulled Pork Tacos are a delicious way to change up your Taco Tuesday.
• 4 pounds pork butt or shoulder, bone in and skin on
• 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
• 1 head garlic, peeled
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
• 2 dried bay leaves
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• Corn tortillas
• Crema mexicana or sour cream
• Salt & pepper, to taste
1. In a mortar and pestle, combine chopped garlic, chopped onion, chopped oregano, and a little salt and pepper.
2. For the marinade, combine orange juice, lime juice, red wine vinegar, and vegetable oil.
3. Cut many slits throughout the pork, and stuff the slits with the chopped aromatics. Season the outside liberally with salt and pepper.
4. In a sealable container, add pork, bay leaves, and pour the marinade all over. Allow to sit for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
5. Place pork and the marinade in a dutch oven, bring to a boil, and then set heat to medium-low to simmer for about 2-3 hours or until the meat beings falling off the bone.
6. Make a quick-pickled red cabbage adding a splash of vinegar, pinch of salt, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
7. When the pork is done, use two forks to shred and pull apart meat. You can also drizzle over more or the cooked marinade.
8. Warm corn tortillas in a pan or simply over your stove burners. Place the shredded pork in the middle, dollop some creama mexicana or sour cream, top with quick-pickled cabbage, and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy with your favorite hot sauce!