These heart-shaped, jam filled doughnuts are the most adorable sugary treat!
• 1 sachet of dried yeast
• 50 grams caster sugar, plus extra for coating
• 160 milliliters whole milk
• 50 grams unsalted butter, melted
• 240 grams plain flour
• Pinch of fine sea salt
• 1 large egg, beaten
• Vegetable oil for frying
• Seedless raspberry jam
• 1 tablespoon freeze dried raspberries
1. Warm the milk so it's tepid, not hot. In a measuring jug add about 1/3 of the milk with all the yeast, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Give it a mix and set aside until it starts to bubble.
2. In a freestanding mixer bowl, add in the flour, the rest of the sugar and the salt. Make a well in the middle and add in the yeast mix, the rest of the milk, the egg and the melted butter.
3. Knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is silky and smooth. Leave in a warm place to double in size, this should take about 45 minutes.
4. Knock the dough back and then cut into hearts with a heart-shaped cutter.
5. Leave for its second prove for about 30 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
6. Whilst you are waiting for this, heat the oil to frying temperature.
7. Once the doughnuts are ready carefully place in the fryer for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden and puffy.
8. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen towel. Once they are cool enough to hold fill the doughnut with jam using a syringe or a squeezy bottle. To make it easier, poke a hole before you fill.
9. You should be able to feel when the doughnuts are full.
10. Blitz together the extra sugar and the freeze dried raspberries to make a pink dust. Roll the doughnuts in the dust and break those hearts in two!